This morning my truck started hesitating while accelerating in 3rd. It was OK as long as I was cruising, but when I gave it some gas, it would hesitate. It sounded like a miss at first, but it got worse. As it happened, I barely made it home. It started doing it in all gears and it got to the point where it would quit at idle and wouldn't restart.
Here's what I've checked out: The needle and seat are clear. The float moves freely. The bowl was full of gasoline. The fuel pump is pumping a lot of gas (I put the line into an empty jar and cranked the engine).
My vacuum advance line is tight. The line to the wiper is connected and not leaking. The carb is tight to the intake manifold.
My ballast resistor is new and shows the correct voltage on both sides. There is proper voltage at the coil. The generator is putting out over 12 volts.
All plug wires are secured, as are wires to coil. I had a spare coil lying around and put it in just for the heck of it and the problem is unchanged.
After letting it sit for a while I was able to start it. It idled nicely and accelerated without any problem. It sounded totally normal. But then when I drove it around the block, it hesitated really badly and also developed a problem idling. Barely made it around the block.
Next, I'm checking the vacuum advance. It's maybe the only original thing left on this truck.
And I don't know if this is related or not, but yesterday I pulled the generator to replace the bearings. It ran fine all day yesterday.
Another thing: I ran it in the rain for the first time last night. Now today I have this problem. But it didn't start until after I'd been on the road for a few minutes.
Any ideas?


1956 Chevy 3200