First off, the wire colors you mention refer to a factory switch. They have nothing to do with an aftermarket switch.
"I am assuming the yellow wire in the example above goes to the L Terminal on the flasher and although not included I am assuming their should be a 7th wire that goes to the Flasher P Terminal and provides the signal on/off indicator light on the turn signal itself."
On your aftermarket switch there will be another wire for the pilot light.
You say your brake lights have 2 separate bulbs. I think you are mistaken. I believe that one bulb is brake light and the other is tail light. In order to tie the front and rear wires together at the switch you will need a separate light housing for the turn signals. You will not be able to use the existing wires to the existing brake lights. Then you may terminate the brake light wire from the switch.
If you are planning to use the existing wires, like the switch is designed for, you will need to have the brake light signal going through the switch. This is the route I'd recommend. You will also need to convert the front light sockets to dual filament and run new wires for them.
Last edited by cletis; 07/16/2012 1:07 PM. Reason: Added info