| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,239 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 110 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 110 | So I am having a problem with the gas gauge on my 51 truck (New 12v gauge btw) not reading at all...it would only stay on empty. I troubleshooted based on all the postings that I could find and nada....so i bought a new 12v gauge...and i am still having same exact problem.
I took the new gauge and hooked up the "ign" to the + side of the battery and the "snd" to the middle post on the sending unit and then ran a wire from one of one of the bolts on the sending unit to the - on the battery....I manually moved the float for the sending unit and got no reading at the gauge, no movement, nada.
I then took the sending unit and hooked up an in-line light from the the middle stud of the sending unit to the + of the battery and from one of the outside screws to the - in the battery...moved the float by hand the light dimms from one position to the other...which leads me to believe the sending unit is fine.
I am now thinking of buying a new gauge from a different Vendor in hopes that the issue might be a bad batch...but I am thinking it is too much of a coinsidence to have two gauges bought in different months to go wrong.
The only funny thing I noticed is when I hook up the gauge to the sending unit and I removed the negative going from the sending unit to the - in the battery then the neddle moves to about half full...if I ground the sending unit then it goes right back to empty...this without the sending unit being inside the tank and even manully moving the float to the full position...
what am I doing wrong? any help | | |
| |
| |