Ok, I have purchased my very own stovebolt (versus living vicariously through my Dad) from middle Nebraska. This one is a '46 Chev half ton that was an amateur restore... mostly. I am thinking that the starter (6v) that attaches to the '53 216 engine is a Powerglide with the electric soleniod. It looks new with absolutely no rust so prior owner had it rebuilt.

Anyway, my issue is this. Press the starter button and click soleniod engages but no starter motor turn most times. On a rare occasion it will engage and start.

I have been thinking solenoid, but when I use a screwdriver on two of the posts it starts every time.

Another question is whether or not this starter/solenoid needs a direct ground to the frame as the original would have; and could this possibly be the cause?

Then comes my next question. If it is soleniod can the existing starter motor be convereted to the mechanical floor starter. Most of the hardware is still attached to the bell housing and I have a good source at the family ranch of stovebolt parts that would work on this one.


1946 Half-ton PU
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Photobucket


I come from a long line of old bolts. These are Dad's

1931 one ton stake bed
1942 Military bomb service truck (converted to fire truck - not pictured)
1946 Chev half ton PU (Not pictured)
1948 Chev 3100 half ton PU
1956 Chev Bel Air
1946 John Deere H