I have the same engine and had the same mess of wires. So I re did my 55 2nd series 3100 using a EZ wiring 20 circuit kit and went with a Pretronix electronic ignition. The EZ wiring kit ran me $140 and the Pretronix ran me $75.00. The wring kit was real easy to install. And changing over to a Pretronix is very simple. You keep the original distributor just take out the points and replace with the Pretronix parts. You can always go back to the points if you ever wanted to. But I really like the pretronix and have not had any problem with it and it performs better then the points in my opinion. You can buy more expensive wiring kits. But they are basically all the same thing. The EZ wiring kit wires are all marked to what they operate. All you do is route the wires to where they go and hook em up. You can do away with the external voltage regulator and go with a alt that is internally regulated. Or stay with the external regulated alt. I liked the EZ wiring kit because it was not expensive and it used GM wire color codes. I would go with a new alt or get the one you have rebuilt. They don't cost much and you would know you had a new alt charging your battery. The EZ wiring kit I picked up had some extra circuits that I did not need. But I kept the wires rolled up in case I ever wante4d to go with a differnt engine or do some mods to the truck.

Last edited by tracern1; 05/27/2012 9:46 PM.