Tracern1,
This is exactly the type of information I was hoping to glean. Thank you for sharing your journey! smile
I'm afraid I can't view your pictures from work but look forward to seeing them when I get home!
I almost hate to say this but I would've liked to hear that your experience was with the siphon type method... ha.
You see, a few years ago I bought a very small but new Husky compressor for about $150 bucks. It's good for airing up tires and driving a pneumatic staple gun for home projects is all. I soon discovered it wouldn't work with a borrowed pressure-tank sand blaster! More research revealed that the type of compressor I would need to drive a smaller requirement paint gun is about 5 horse with around 8 SCFM. A little more research told me those things ran around $400! I'm on a stick and dirt budget... my truck project is the only reason for all the tools I've bought so far... and I've bought a lot.
The compressor I mentioned above that I found (on Craigslist) had the minimum requirements but the PO stated it took a long time to build pressure. I got it for $50 bucks and spent another $50 for the rebuild kit. It works and looks great now after painting it (using rattle cans).
This thing is 33 gallons and takes up a lot of space in my garage but I think I got it at a steal so I feel justified about spending the money.
The sprayer I bought should be on my doorstep when I get home from work today. Though I don't have my painting supplies yet, I'm thrilled at the steps taken toward the finish line.
Much appreciated is the input on the single stage paint. I had been looking at the two-stage... mainly because I'm not sure which vehicle will have the honor of residing in the garage! I want the paint to hold up if it's not the truck!
I bought a siphon media blaster from HF and tried it with the small compressor... it did fair. I plan on trying the "new-to-me" compressor this coming 3-day Memorial weekend.
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw