If this has already been discussed, feel free to let me know...

I have been working on my 1950 Chevrolet 4100, which seems to have been maintained very well. When I first bought the truck, it had a 8 volt battery. I bought a new 6 volt, and moved forward with the build. Today, while wrenching under the hood, I noticed that the generator has a 12 volt AC tag, instead of 6 volt. I never thought to look at it, since the truck runs & drives fine.

The main question... is it possible to use a 12 volt generator and regulate it to 6 volts effectively?

I am trying to make sense of the previous owner's "reasoning" with this one. I have read that one of the problems with generators is their lack of battery recharge in the lower rpms, so would using a 12 volt generator, regulated to operate within a 6 volt system, generate enough amperage to charge the battery more effectively in the lower rpms?

Thanks in advance.


1991 Corvette
1950 4100