Thanks for everyone's help. I'm pleased to know that at least the numbers on my burb are as it left the factory. As far as being home free with the DMV I'm not so sure. When I purchased my vehicle I was aware that the PO had a CA title based on engine number. I also knew that the original engine was no longer in place. Since I, and presumably the IL DMV, knew that in 1955 CA issued titles based on the engine. I headed off to their office with the expectation that they might have run into this issue before.
I presented all the documents and asked their advice. They stated that the only title they could issue would have the same info as the title that I turned in. I explained that there was now no number on the vehicle that matched the number on my title. They restated their position. I couldn't see any option at the time; so I processed the paperwork.
The result was a title with my name spelled incorrectly and, as it turned out, they had created a new variant on the engine number - a point I didn't notice until later. This was followed in a week or two with a letter claiming that I had misrepresented the value of the vehicle and owed another $775 in taxes and penalties since they had determined that it was worth at least $15,000.
I believe that I have resolved the latter issue even though there was no written reply. At this point I am preparing the documents to obtain a bonded title; as that seems to be my only recourse. Why am I not overly confident?
John