Hi all,
I know that there are lots of threads dealing with VIN's but I don't see this one addressed. I am preparing documents to attempt to get an Illinois title for my 1955 burb.
The doorpost and chassis VIN's match with one exception and appear to be original and unmolested. The VIN format is four characters,in my case H255; followed by a single letter origin character; ending with a six digit vehicle number. Since my burb started life in Oakland the fifth character should be an "oh" not a zero. That is how the chassis is stamped. The doorpost VIN has two identical characters following the H255 which appear to be zeros. This doesn't bother me a bit; but I have become more than a little wary regarding the DMV. Is this common and is it documented anywhere?
The current title references an engine number because that was how the California title was issued. Since the original engine is no longer in place I am trying to avoid problems in case an overeager official does an impromptu VIN check. There are probably insurance issues also, but this one first.
My thanks to anyone who can help. John