Whitedog,

I have 2 sets of the 1-ton roller bearings, one for each of the two projects I have going.

I, like you, found that the o.d. of the inner race is larger than the original bearings. In addition, the set of bearings I purchased within the last year, don't even have a machined surface on the o.d. of the race. The set purchased about 4 years ago do have the machined surface.

I've measured everything and came up with the following results.

Ball (original) bearing -> race o.d. 2.093 (ground finish)
Roller bearing set # 1 -> race o.d. 2.153 (ground finish)
Roller bearing set # 2 -> race o.d. 2.157 (rough surface)

Both of these roller bearing sets are manufactured by MBS bearing in Japan who seems to have a good reputation. MBS Bearings, Japan I think they are the only ones producing these bearings.

I found a table of seal clearance guidelines and for anything under a 4" shaft, the clearance was +/- .030". There is clearly a problem with the o.d. of the bearing race.

The bearings with the rough surface are simply unusable. Seal manufacturers are very clear on what is a smooth enough surface. i.e. smooth with no tool marks

I may be able to find a seal with a 2-1/8 (2.125) shaft diameter specification that would work for the bearings with the finished o.d. surface.


'38 Chevy 1-1/2 ton
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton
'54 Chevy 6400 2 ton
'55.2 GMC 3/4 ton
'56 GMC 1-ton

No Room Left in Shop