Hello- I currently have a integral-head style (1974?) 250 in a Land Rover truck. The engine is probably one of the 105 HP rated versions, with EGR valve. For space, asthetic and power reasons, I'd like to replace the head with an earlier 155 HP, non-integral head version. I believe this is physically a straight swap. I assume the integral head block has hydraulic lifters? If so, should I use the existing pushrods if I put a solid lifter head on?
My other question is about the differences in stock cams (if any) used over the years on Chevy 250 engines, both car and truck applications. If there is no difference over the years and between models, I'll probably leave the short block as-is. I was thinking the cams in the 250s fitted to trucks might be different. Or perhaps the cam profiles changed as smog requirements got more strict? Because my truck is heavy and used off-road, I'd rather have torque than high RPM, and would probably never run more than 3800 RPM anyway. The truck is a '67 so there's no problem with doing away with the smog equipment.
I have access to a few 250 engines and would like to do optimize my engine using stock parts. I have ordered the Santucci book, so I appologize if these questions are covered in that text.
Thanks in advance,
Carl