I have a 1954 Chevy short Bus (1 1/2 -2 ton) that is giving me problems with the brakes locking up.
I bought the old girl on EBay. Flew from Florida to Montana to buy it with my teenage son. Previous owner said it was in great shape and would make the trip.
ALL LIES. Brakes were very weak (3 pumps to stop if you were lucky), dry-rotted tires, no lights. Anyway, I found 4 bias tires, replaced the master cylinder/lights by the roadside, changed oil, etc. Got a brake pedal back. I would have flown home and had it shipped, but the previous owner did not want to get involved with shipping it.
Soon after, while trying to drive an old bus home, my brakes locked up so badly that the rear drivers side brake turned cherry red. So hot, it smoked for an hour in the dark, out in the middle of nowhere.
FYI-don't attempt a drive like this in an old relic you bought on EBay unless you are both a fool and a glutton for punishment.
A small shop in Montana now has my bus. The rear wheel cylinders were rebuilt, rear shoes replaced, etc. Brakes seemed fine.
The mechanic having checked over the bus for me in advance, I drove out to Montana with my family and all of my tools to give it another go.
I took it for another drive after the brake work, thinking that the problem was remedied.
More problems, the fuel line had a home in it, there were no front shocks (in fact one front shock frame mount was missing). Anyway, changed fan belt, thermostat, fuel line, heater hoses, fuel filter, flushed radiator, etc.
Took it for another test drive. Lousy brakes started intermittently locking up again. The brake pedal became rock hard, and the rear brakes would not release. Brake light quit working (wasn't fuse).
I suspect that the power brake assist unit (hydrovac?) is causing the problem with the brakes. Has anyone out there experienced this? The shop that worked on my brakes adjusted something underneath the truck that made the brakes loosen up so the truck would actually move again. Afraid to attempt a another attempt at driving it home, I decided to come home with my tail between my legs and have it shipped home by truck. It should be picked up and shipped to Florida in about a week.
If it's the power assist, can these be rebuilt without too much difficulty? I am a halfway decent mechanic, but never tried to fix one. Is it better to try and upgrade this unit?
I want to drive this bus a lot, and want to make it stop as well as possible. I am looking to see if a better, dual master cylinder is available, a front disc brake conversion, etc.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing my dreadful story.
George
http://www.oldbus.us