I would say just buy a new one, sometimes there isn't any other viable answer.
I don't think welding will fix that--what broke has threads machined into it. The welding will end up with the threads being unserviceable. You might could helicoil it after the three pieces are welded back (and those are pricey!!!). Also, welding cast isn't all that easy, it can be done, but those pieces are pretty small..not trying to be a downer, but I don't think you would get the best results from your time and money. Have you looked on Rock Auto or some similiar online site--these things are probably cheaper than what a welding shop would charge for their time. I do think asking here at the Forum if someone has one laying around is a good way to find one.
I would give you a hard time about breaking this, but I won't'!! I have done about the same thing (stripping the threads out of my race car T-stat housing) Most of the time on thermostat covers the torque settings are really light, like 17 inch pounds (not foot pounds!). Better to have it too loose and leak, then tighten it up a bit, than strip or break it from over-torquing. Good luck, if I had one I would mail it to ya.
Last edited by R-Bo; 03/06/2012 9:23 PM.