I well remember the three-on-the-tree gear shifter linkage issues on my dad's '69 C-10. On that truck, the linkage would become hung and dinking around under the hood had to be performed to uncross the rods, which I never knew how to do.

On my '69, the shifter doesn't become hung so much as it enters an altered state of consciousness where reverse is 2nd and 1st is 3rd. But in this case, when in the altered reverse (that's really 2nd) the shifter is considerably higher than normal and lower when in 1st (which is really 3rd). I ca shift and reshift a few times while rolling and get the linkage back into a normal state without having to go under the hood.

Where in the world do I begin to determine which linkage parts are worn out? I've though of comparing pics of the linkage rods positions in all normal and altered positions.


Darren

1969 Chevy C-10 Fleetside
In the Stovebolt Gallery