If I were lucky enough to have a son or like yourself a daughter I would buy her a Toyota sedan as a first car. Getting into an accident with one of these vehicles is no joke. This has nothing to do with your daughters character, I'm addressing all the drunks, texters, cellphone users, etc. that populate our roads.
That said, shoulder harness seat belts with a lap belt for the middle passenger (so that means 3 belts total), Bendix brakes redone 100%, dual brake master cylinder upgrade, modern radials, LED stop/turn lights, oversize rear view mirrors (BOTH sides, I use 5"), I like the 60 mph governor idea, local driving only for the first few years. If she chooses to keep and drive the truck throughout her college years (very practical for the several college domicile moves she will encounter) she will have acquired the skill set necessary to drive in today's traffic should her school choice be hours away.
I hope others will respond to give you a broad selection of ideas and upgrades. In my signature below you will see that my truck (the only vehicle I own) is capable of 2K round trips with little modification and was done 'on the cheap' w/o sacrificing safety.
Regards,
Cosmo
~ Cosmo 1949 Chevy Half Ton Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities. "...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes "If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra "Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer
|