The wiring is probably the easiest part of the project. replacing the 3 on the tree is going to be your achilles heal. Other than an old powerglide, the only way to go automatic is to get and engine adapter. With the adapter and later model trans, you'll have to hack your crossmember and maybe even the firewall. Personnally, I would find an SM420 trans, or even a non torque tube 3 speed and move the shifter to the floor. (My Dad taught me how to drive in a 4 speed truck, the granny low is very forgiving) Since you are planning on replacing the rearend, the touque tube shouldn't be a problem. A rearend out of a Blazer or Ford Explorer should get you good gearing, plus finding one with discs is relatively easy. There are quite a few companies that offer front disc kits, I'm not for about the 5 lug converion though. I believe you can use discs off an early model car. OR you can do a MII front end kit, which requires lots of fabrication.

Good luck, I wish you and your daughter well.

Chris


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket