Guys, I’m thinking someone in this forum can shed a light on this for me.
My ’59 project came with two engines that sat on the ground 20+ years.
One of them had a tranny attached that I assume to be the original.
Research has provided that this tranny is a Muncie 318 for my column shift.
Now I have a ’58 donor truck that I bought for spare parts for my ’59 project.
This truck appears to have had a column shift but the column shift lever, rod etc. is missing.
The truck has a floor shift and I walked it through, it’s a 4 speed.
I can’t show a picture of it but if you have a ’55-’59 Assembly Manual, it’s on Section 12, Sheet 40.00 and is the lower illustration (minus the E-brake hardware).
The drive shaft is weird to me, it has a rigid splined end that stabs into a yoke assembly mounted to the tranny. Can someone ID this thing? Second, is there a preference between the two?
Any input / suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw