Originally Posted by Mr. Lang
Well, I didn't really pay much attention when I filled the engine with oil. I know I didn't put six quarts in it. I guess the thing to do, is drain it, measure, and pour it back in. I just pumped the oil from a five gallon pail. This time I'll measure it!

Thanks. I'll re-fill, and if needed, put a new notch on my dipstick.
That's the best approach. Make sure you add the right amount relative to engine/oil-pan that you have; and, add the correct amount relative to the oil filter that you have (volume of the filter).

If you have a filter that does not drain to the bottom, you have other considerations regarding emptying the filter (with a sludge-siphon, baster, perhaps) and, with some styles of filters, decide if you want to pre-fill the filter with clean oil (if it is a side-drainer and if you want oil to more quickly be pumping through your engine)

Then, mark the dip-stick (the oil level "gauge").