I installed
this one that I got from Chev of the 40's for about $200.00 with shipping, under the
bed on my 51 and rather than cut up my fenders I just used a cheap
fuel door in the wood thats a whole lot easier to replace, Instead of messing with the original fenders.
Im very happy with the way it turned out.
Todd
1Bad51, is this the same tank:
http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/13505/GAS_TANK_STEEL_UNIVERSAL_UNDER_BED_MOUNT.htmlI am about to order this for my '40. I have some questions that I hope you can answer. For one, how much was shipping? Also, did you make your own straps or does chevsofthe40s sell a set that is made for this tank?
How easy was it to fit under the bed, I know a '40 is completely different than a '51, just wondering if this tank is truely "universal". I know I will probably have to make some cuts/modifications. So for $200, is it a decent tank?
I'd like to cut a hole in the bed wood and have the flange mount flush the the be wood so the cap is flush with the bed. Would that be possible with this tank? I'm guessing since the cap/flange would be hard mounted to the truck, I'd have to cut the filler neck and insert a peice of rubber tube? If that is the case, does the flange have holes to allow for this type of mounting? If not, should I plan to cut the filler neck and discard the flange and get a custom one that has holes so I can bolt it to the bed wood?
Sorry for all the questions, I've never relocated or even mounted a gas tank before, so this is new to me. This will be my winter projects and I'm planning on oredering the tank within the next week or so. I just hope they don't kill me on the shipping, since my budget for this whole project is around $275, and that includes the tank, fuel line and straps and any other hardware.
Edit: I actually just finished looking at all your photos. Wow, what a clean install, that looks beautiful under there! I love the filler door. I think I just decided that'a how I'll do mine. Where did you get that filler door, do you have a link? Please leave those photos up, I'll need them for reference when I begin my project.
Also, I'm not planning to remove my bed wood while doing this project. How much more difficult would this have been if your bedwood was still attached and you didn't have access to the top of the tank through the bed while doing the install?
Thanks again for the awesome pics! And please let me know about the straps.