Bruce,
I hope I get this to you in time to save you the trouble. After much more pondering, and holding my tongue in just the right place, I awakened with and epiphany.
I remembered that, when I install the rad, the upper mount holes seem farther apart than the lower. I removed the headlight pods, ran an all-thread thru the holes, and started applying pressure. The arch started to raise in the middle. I then had to shorten the overflow outlet tube so as to clear the hole, and continued the pressure until I had the mount holes tightly against the rad bolts. I tightened all the rad bolts, let up on the pressure/all-thread, and the arch remaing "up."
It appears to be very close to the proper position, but may need only a slight shim.
Now, all I have to do if figure how to make the overflow outlet workable. It's partially blocked by the flange on the arch. I may have to solder in a bent tube, and take it from there.
None the less, I do very much appreciate your offer. I am sure that others have encountered this problem, as it seems to be a somewhat weak point in the engineering.
Thanks again,
Gary