Freq2002-
Heck, it is a small world.....
Actually, I farm there, trying to at least..... I'm a young pup.... WA HI grad from the 90's.....
I "kinda" was hoping that old sprayer had the GMC 302, but beggers can't be choosers. (And for the Ford folks, I think they offered a Ford V8 302 or 289 or what ever industrial too). I'll have to see if the bell housing that is attached to it is set up for a foot starter. Never knew bell housings were any different then the electric start.
As I said, it was a project from long ago. The old 228 still runs, just have to put lots of water in it. Been parked in the barn for some time. Not much progress made.... just got the sprayer two weeks ago. Been trying to find a local engine for some time before this came up. Was always a day late and a dollar short. Heck, tons of old 50's rigs here... you know that. Some hop farms still have them parked and use them yearly. (Heck, I still can't believe that a GMC 1.5 or 2 ton can have a wheel base that short...unless it was cut by the farmers for hop use).
Well, I guess if anyone is reading this post, they're gonna start wondering about sprayers and other places the GMC engines were used. I'm sure the old Orchard Master sprayers can be found in California, Michigan, New York, Pennsylvania, pretty much any where orchards were during the last 60 years. Most of the time, they have coverings, so the engine stays "dry", even if the tin and tank is rust colored.