Thanks guys again for all the insight. I'm using brake fluid so my earlier comment about oil was a typo and did have some help so that I could bleed them while someone handled the pedal.
One thing that confuses me and maybe someone can confirm....when I unscrewed the rear brake line from the master (there is two wells one for the front brakes and one for the rear)and put my finger over the connection point for the rear line, and had the brakes pumped, I did being to get suction and back pressure on the brake pedal. I would think that because I got the pressure build up doing that, that the master is working and maybe air in the line somewhere? Would that make sense?
I'm dying here having had the truck out of commission going on two months....I removed the bed using a front end loader to get it off the frame and removed the old floor which was covered in diamond plate steel (the truck was formally a tow truck). I also wire wheeled and painted the frame from the cab to the rear bumper.
Again thanks for the support fellas. john