Yeah, once you get it figured out. And that's the problem with it, if you don't use it once a week every time you want to haul it out you have to sit down with the manual and try to figure out what all the buttons and modes are. It's like trying to set the time and date on one of those dang digital clocks. Push this button twice while holding down this other button while the light on the left is flashing three times.........arg, I think you old timers know what I mean.
Took my 29 year old for a ride in the truck yesterday afternoon. We got on the road and I reached up and turned the on/off/volume control to the right and she says, "What does that do?" If it taint got push buttons and a digital readout the under thirty crowd don't know how to operate it. Sort of the same problem I'm having with the timing light cept in reverse.
And yes, I've got a 12v battery that I keep under the bench for stuff like this and if I need to power up any 12v stuff for testing. Input voltage specs on the 5568 are 10-16 volts DC. Still don’t under stand what the advance thing on the timing light is all about. Maybe someone could explain that better than the China man that wrote the manual.
Funny thing though. I installed a new vacuum advance on the 216 yesterday. Brought the ball around till it was dead nuts on the pointer, dropped the distributor back in the hole, clipped my $2.99 DVOM leads to the side terminal and ground, turned the distributor just till the points broke open and locked her down.
Started her up let it warm up and idled it down to 500rpm pushed the FLASH button on that fancy hunert dollar timing light and the ball stopped "dead nuts" right under the pointer. So it just goes to show ya that your really don’t need all that fancy stuff to tune up a Stovebolt. Oh, and it runs much nicer with the vacuum advance working!
DG