Hi all, my name is Ilsa. I am not the owner, but my husband and I work for the gentleman who is, so I am posting it for him. Great site by the way - am thrilled that I found it. Here is what this 1953 GMC model 455-30 2 ton truck looked like when we first started working on it.
53gmc
We had actually drove right by it for more than a year or so and didn't really ever see it. One day, it was sitting out front with a big free sign on it. So we had a friend of ours, who thankfully owns several large flatbed tow trucks, to come out and see if he could tow it to the ranch that we work at about 5 miles down the road. Welllll, it was a tad larger than we expected, but it made it the 5 miles only to have a strap break and roll into the back of the tow truck. Thank god no one was hurt and it was only a few bent pieces.
53gmc bent grille

So we commenced to repair it. We knew it had no brakes; we had no idea if it would even run. It had sat behind that barn probably 20 years. We started on the brakes - what fun those rear drums are to lug around! We cleaned everything up, rebuilt and honed all the wheel cylinders and replaced all of the lines. The hydrovac was sent out to ReMan Brakes in Georgia to be rebuilt after taking it apart to find the seal was bad.
hydrovac
hydrovac2

It was sanded down and painted - it will be repainted later down the road. There is still a bit of body work to do here and there.

Here is a few more pics - there is so much to post so I will add more later. I just know we will have plenty of questions for you all and will enjoy all the great information on this site. Thanks for looking!
53gmc2
53gmc3
Heck, here is the album - excuse some of the duplicates.
53gmcalbum


1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 4x4 OVRTRQD Buick GNX #276
"If it died... we can fix it" | "If your not outraged, you're not paying attention." | "Do you know a large group of baboons is called a Congress? That explains a lot." ~author unwn