ontheverge
I'm in the same spot as you right now. I have bought a 1/2 ton axle ($100.00 and the guy can get more of 'em) stripped it of it's bendex brakes. Am about to slide it under my '48 1 ton to line up the spring U bolt holes so I can elongate the holes 3/16 each to fit the '48's U bolts. Then comes the power disc conversion kit ($700).
For the rear I bought ($150 Craigs list) a 12 bolt out of a HEAVY HALF '78-'79. The good points about this rearend are; 1. the spring perches are about right where they need to be no welding required. 2. gear ratio is 3.73. 3. the brake shoes are 40% bigger 4. GVW on the heavy half was 6000 lbs truck only weighed in at about 4000 lbs almost the same as ours weight wise but nowhere near as much as ours could realistically haul.
By doing both changes I think I will drop almost 100 lbs front unsprung and 200 ? rear.
Points of concern are 8 lug to 6 lug, I like the HD looks of the 8 lug but now have more wheel choises, and losing my full 1 ton rating but I don't plan on using the '48 to haul.
As I move through this I will try to keep pictures posted.
If this works as planned I will chuck the hucks! thanks Jim D