I live in vancouver bc and am just putting the finishing touches on "Pearl" a '51 chev 5 window 3100 with a '54 235.
It's running but there seems to be a misfire in #6. Compression is pretty even at 150 straight across.
I drove it around the block and it popped and sputtered all the way. I played with the timing and mix but nothing seems to affect the performance in 6
I think it might be valve not seating correctly. but in case it's a hear riser problem. I've ordered a new intake/exhaust manifold (with a working heat riser) and 2 bbl carter carb to arrive this week.
Any local stovebolters who can offer any advice? I'm aching to get Pearl on the road.
Is there any point in removing the side cover, is this going to offer me any clues?
I'm not too worried if I need to rebuild the head, but if there is a trick in the stovebolters bag of trick for loosening gunk or checking valve seating without tearing it apart first, I'd like to hear from you. I'm nearly ready to post the pictures of the finished Pearl.