Hi George,
The #s that you quoted were in the ballpark for what I was guessing for the 54' value.
One thing that may influence value is a dump bed retrofit. Don't know if it is a positive --- or --- negative. It is a nicely done job of retrofitting IMHO.
I bought this truck to haul firewood back in the 80s and the dump bed with the 9 ft. box sold me on it. I could pull up in my yard and dump a large load of wood and never get out of the cab. I thought I was really hot stuff! Since I already had the PTO hydraulics, I should have rigged a log splitter on the rear bumper. Now that would have been cool!
The story that I got was that the truck came from OK and belonged to a very small acerage farmer. He had rigged a tow bar on the truck and would tow it behind his combine. It had solid plywood side boards, a "sliding grain gate" for a tail gate, and diamond plate welded over the wooden bed. So this story made sense to me. Steel plate is covering the bed still, but all other grain box parts are long gone.
I bought it from the farmer's niece who inherited it after her uncle passed. I couldn't believe that they drove this rig all the way to northwest CO from OK. What a trip that must've been!
I appreciate all the old stories about as much as I appreciate the all old trucks!
George, thanks for your input. Nice looking 58' BTW!
Robert