Tell you what I did with mine...
I wanted to see what shape they were in without paying a mechanic. I pulled the valve cores and let them deflate. I was able to squeeze the two sides together and get the lock ring out... Should have waited. The next challenge was to unseat the beads. Crowbars, large C-clamps and BFH were all used for this task. It may have been easier if the halves were still locked... More leverage on the beads. Once I got the tires loose, I looked at the (small) ridges that work against the lock ring. Corroded and pitted. Considered the force on them with a fully pressured tire and decided discretion was the better part of valor... Got solid wheels and tubeless tires. Take them apart if you want, but find a big truck shop to check them, repair them and mount them. A split rim that lets go could quite easily remove the roof on your garage... And your head and torso if it hits them first.
Current fleet (subject to change w/o notice) \'49 GMC 3/4-Ton , 60 Austin Healey Frog-eye Sprite (some assembly required), 2011 Dodge Avenger, 2015 Jeep Cherokee. No, they don't all run. My other ride is a (B737)no, (B767)no, A320.... Update... was Embraer E190, now Boeing B787. Knowledge is a wonderful thing, but ignorance means you don't know you can't do something.
|