So I managed to remove my tube this evening. Tapped lightly with a dead blow hammer from all directions. Then after no real movement I pulled out the large channel lock pliers. Mind you, these are big and have a max opening of around 4" I found a slipjoint that was just smaller than the tube, and with a light touch was able to twist back and forth until I got a little wiggle. Wiggled and wiggled and wiggled until it was moving freely. They i held the handle of the pliers with one hand, and twisted the tube left and right. I then pulled up with the other hand, and it came right out.
And you should have seen the sludge, er, gunk, um, nasty stuff that came from that part! I took pictures. It was completely closed up. So needless to say there was no ventilation taking place from the crankcase.