Ok...first attempt in the dark last night and I ended up with two leaks I could find...
One at the manifold, at that second exhaust port where the screw was loose.
Second was on the gasket between intake/exhaust.
So this leads me to two questions....
When I line up the exhaust and intake manifolds (yes, loosely bolted together) to the block...do I let it rest on the dowls or push it up? (Last night I ended up with the whole thing pushed up so that not resting on the dowels at each end. What is the proper alignment against the block?
Second question...for the heat riser gasket...can I just loosen up the exhaust/intake bolts again and slide that around to seat so that there is a bit of silver showing all around? Is that my answer?
Gonna try again tonight...starting from middle bolts and working out...then tightening the intake/exhaust bolts.
If that doesn't work, then I will pull out the RTV copper gasket stuff and to that next.
(If all that fails...I am switching to tube headers for now and going on with life.)
Does all that sound ok? Am I doing anything dumb?
Dave