"Your point is very well-taken but seems an unnecessary diatribe in this thread."
Tim, I meant no harm or disrerespect to anyone. At this point I'm sorry I asked the question but apparently some offense has been taken so I should try to explain.
I enjoy reading Stovebolt and other forums because I get two things from doing that. First is the occasional nugget of new information. Second is the amusement of "crackpot" reading opinions with no knowledge or research behind them.
An example of the first can be found on this forum.
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showforum.php?fid/72/On it there are 2 guys who appear to have invested a lifetime in this hobby, one in preparing Chevy engines for drag racing and another in optimizing HEI ignitions for vehicles that came with them origially and vehicles that did not. Through extensive research of their own and through trial and error they have developed a wealth of information, some of which I have found to definitely be beneficial. For example the ignition guy explains how to use 4,6 and 8 cylinder HEI units in all kinds of different non-stock applications. He even explains what advance plates and weights give the best curve, how to limit vacuum advance with a simple device made at home, and which aftermarket units are quality and which are China junk.
An example of the second shows up on Stovebolt from time to time and it goes like this. "I bought an old Chevy truck that has been sitting out in the weather for years and the engine is stuck solid". So far no problem. It's what follows that seems humorous, the solutions which aren't to disassemble the stuck engine and find and fix the damage. Instead it's "Fill the cylinders with diesel fuel then tow it behind a tractor" or something similar to that.
Other examples of the second are adding laquer thinner to non laquer reducers and adding snake oil like Marvel Mystery Oil to motor oil.
Again Tim, I'm sorry I brought this up because some have taken offense. I learned a lesson.