OG (Old Gold) or (Original Gangster)
My 1/2 ton longbed had the chevy HO33 which was entirely rebuilt with the 3:38:1 gear set. The motor destroyed the axle in less than 30 miles. It ripped the axle tubes apart where the spring perches were. I now have an IMCA modified full floating 9 inch that was ordered new to my specs. The specs I chose were 62 inches wide, 11 X 1 inch rear disc brakes, 31 spline axles, 3.70:1 gearset with Tru-trac gear driven Posi, and most importantly 6 lug on 5.5 inch bolt circle lug pattern with 7/16 studs. The 3 inch axle tubes are 3/16 thick walls. I had the option to go with 1/4 inch walls, but thought that to be overkill.

I got the axle from shreiner enterprises. The web page is http://9inchfloater.com/

If you have a 58 gmc, 1/2 ton, the standard axle should be a spicer 45. These axles are a bit stronger than the HO33, but harder to find parts for. It may be possible to replace all of the guts for the guts of a Dana 44, but my rearend guy couldn't figure out how to do that.