I know that the 4 speeds in the 39's were built by both Saginaw and Muncie. I believe the four speed was referred to as a SM-22? It is the non-snycro and was used for a long time. It is the same size as the 37-46 3 speed and is a fairly simple drop in for those year trucks. I would think the same might be true for some of the pre 37 trucks.

Don't know if that helps or not, but just a few thoughts. For the late thirties, standard equipment was the three speed for 1/2 and 3/4 tons. Big bolts got the four speed. However, it was an option to get the 4 speed in either the 1/2 or 3/4 ton's and lot appear to have been equiped that way.

Gearing on the 4 is meant for hauling. First is 7.23 to 1. 2-4 nearly approximate the three speed with 1:1 at the high gear. Not exactly the kind of gear to spin the tires with. Since I'm doing mostly improved road driving, I rarely use it. Since you've got the big bolt, you probably would use it more that I do!

I would have added these thoughts earlier, but it really just came into my mind now.

Let us know how the swap out goes.


If it ain't broke, take it apart and figure out why!
39 Chevy in the Gallery
Photobucket Album