Originally Posted by LONGBOX55
Originally Posted by bigbadswingdaddy
JD


Step 4
Upgrade brakes...Dual master cylinder and disc brakes are a necessity for driving on the interstates.
It's not a bad idea, but upgrading to a dual master/disk brakes are not an absolute necessity. Properly rebuilt factory brakes will work just fine. You just have to remember that your stopping distances will be somwhat longer than for a disk brake vehicle.


OK, I have a strong preference for upgrading the brakes. My first 59 gmc had the drums all around. I went through the brakes entirely, replacing drums, shoes, cylinders, MC, etc. I can't tell you how many times that truck spun on me while breaking. The non self adjusting rear was touchy, and one would always lock up before the other causing the truck to fishtail and spin.

I was driving on Interstate 280 in San Jose during rush hour traffic in the rain in my 1st 59 gmc. I had 2 buddies with me. I went around a turn and saw brake lights ahead. I tapped my brakes and had that annoying lock up. I was dooing about 60 mph. The nose of my truck jumped to the right. I over compensated and the nose then jumped to the left. One more over compensation, the passenger side of the truck is up in the air, and I am driving down interstate 280 on the driver side wheels for about 150 yards. My friend Matt rolled down the passenger window, and leaned out to try and get us back down.

Long story short, the truck settled back down on all fours, and I was able to stop without hitting anything in front, behind, or next to me. Sure the factory brakes are fine, but the disc brakes are better, and MY UNDERWEAR IS ALWAYS CLEANER! IMHO upgrading the brakes on a stovebolt is the most important thing a new owner could do.

I would not waste my money rebuilding the factory brakes when I could get Upgrade to disc for about $250 more. After all, new wheel cylinders, Master cylinder, springs, shoes and drums for the front will run you well over $500.

On a 3/4 ton, 1 ton, or a NAPCO truck where disc brake kits are not readily available, I would reccomend using a vacuum booster and a 2 chamber MC for better stopping power and safety.

Again, It is only my opinion the brakes should be changed. When our stovebolts were new, they could stop as fast as they could start, and they didn't start fast. With todays demands of increased speed also comes the demands for increased stopping power.

Maybe a Parade truck will be fine with the stock drums. But you will not convince me that a daily driver/ work truck/ tow vehicle does not absolutely need better brakes. I have been there and done that.