I'll email the pix this evening. I took another look at the bearing setup today. It looks like the bearing is just plain different. Unlike what I said I first saw, there is an inner 'race' of sorts - it's much wider than the bearing cone and is really 'pasted' to the axle housing with no normal means whatsoever to remove it (no notch, gap, etc). And, to clarify about the snap ring - it is part of the bearing assembly and is not part of the hub. Look at the picture of the inside of the hub - you'll see the snap ring groove. The groove is formed in the bearing cup, not the hub. The snap ring serves as part of the bearing cone, holding the rollers from completely falling out when the hub is pulled. None of this would've surprised me if the '58 Shop Manual had any info about this type bearing - but it doesn't.


1955 GMC 630, 1959 GMC W660, 1958 Chevy Spartan 80