There's a book called "How to Restore your Chevrolet Pickup" by Tom Brownell that was very helpful to me when I started. There are other good resources too but I recommend starting with this one. It separates the process into different categories like engine, body work, painting, etc. I've had mine for 5 or 6 years but I still go back to scan through it from time to time. Since you have a '56, another good book that's specific to the taskforce trucks is "The Classic Chevy Truck Handbook : How to Rod, Rebuild, Restore, Repair and Upgrade Classic Chevy Trucks, 1955-1960.
I don't know why they say 55-60 since the 1960 model is a completely different animal than the 55-59 and is not even mentioned in the book but I still like the book.

Last edited by jfnar; 01/25/2011 3:10 PM.

'64 swb stepside (gone)
'57 1 ton
'53 phone truck
'59 swb
'46 1 1/2 ton
'68 swb gmc