I use the clutch disc from an 83-84 2.8L v6 Firebird. Doesn't require any modification to the clutch disc. I've outlined the process in detail on page 5 of my Webshots "Shoebox" album. I've also used the RCF-4201. Both came from NAPA.

As for your gear ratios.....you're correct.....the 4.03 is going to have you short shifting but the .86/3.90 would have you turning about 2200 @60 mph with plenty of throttle/rpms left in reserve and the ability to drop down towards 45 mph without a downshift. The .72 T5 isn't that much of an improvement in regard to the short 1st gear.

As for the driveshaft.....I've found that the driveshaft from a S10 T5 shortbed pickup can be used without modification by moving the spring pad 5/8" to the rear...which centers the rear wheels in the bed wheel well. Hope this helps.

Dave



Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"