Just my personal expereince here, but I found that the amber light produced less glare in fog & snow & mainly they helped me pick out different colors & shapes on the sides of the road ahead of me. The white lights were good for long distance vision on highway trips, amber for close in.
I had the same experience with using my fog lamps in heavy fog. There is a science behind it, seems that the yellow/orange light cuts through the fog mbetter that white light. I do know that in some European countries that experience heavy fog/snow regularly, cars are actually equipped with amber headlamps, white headlamps are illegal in those countries.
BTW, I hate those blue headlights, too. All they do is cause exsessive glare to the oncoming drivers. That goes for those 10000k headlamps that the kiddies seem to think they need. If you're that blind that you need that much lighting power, you don't need to be driving at night!