BUONGIORNO Peter, and a howdy to you Alvin, he's probably sleeping in late Pete, you know how tired out an old timer gets watching the grandkids.
I think our “new guy” bailed on us guys, but just in case he’s still out there, I might add.
On that engine rebuild, something has been bothering me about the "rebuild it with updated parts to function with today’s gas" part of that. The only update that I know of for today’s gas might be installing hard valve seats when they do the head work. This has been discussed quite a few times here and on other sites. Many believe that this is unnecessary unless the engine is going to be subject to quite severe operating conditions or if the seats were badly burned. I tend to agree with that and wouldn’t have the seats replaced unless I had damage to the original seats in the head.
Other than that I can’t think of anything else that would need to be done any differently than it was 50 years ago on an engine rebuild. Even back in the day, if it were re-bored they would have fit alum pistons and chrome rings.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL