Jeff,

Thanks for posting - I also got a call this evening from a mutual friend of Steve's and mine. I echo Jeff's caution about contacting the family - they are surrounded by a large group of supportive folks at present.

Steve contracted a staff infection a week or so ago and his condition has deteriorated rapidly.

He is no longer cognoscente of what is going on around him and he is on life support, at this point he is not expected to last through the weekend.

I have a number of interesting connections with Steve - I first met him 15 years ago when he did some contract IT work for me when I was starting my business. I didn't know him from Adam but kidded around with him as he pulled an all-niter in the thriving metropolis of Yacolt getting software installed, e-mail clients working etc.

A few years later, we connected here via. the Stovebolt page and I realized that he was the same guy that had helped me set up my first small business server.

Steve has purchased a number of old truck parts from me and has been to my house a few times. During one visit, he mentioned that he graduated from Multnomah School of the Bible (as did my wife and several of my friends). It didn't take long to figure out that we shared a common faith in Christ and despite the fact that we lived 180 miles from one another we had a lot of friends in common.

As such, we stayed in contact and we rarely missed an opportunity to cruise the Portland Swap together as well as attend the ATHS show in Shelton a few times together.

When we talked about different things, he kept figuring out additional people that we both knew. That was the thing about Steve, he knew a lot of people, he talked about their cars/trucks, about their kids and what they did for a living. Steve connected with folks in a genuine way that most people don't.

Steve and his family are devoted Christians and Steve has expressed confidence in knowing that ultimately he is headed to a much better place. I have enjoyed getting to know Steve over the years - he will be missed.

It feels awkward to write about Steve as if he is already gone. I look forward to reconnecting again in heaven.

Ken Brown
Yacolt, WA


Life's short - don't waste it.