Thing is, I wasn't kidding about "rusty seats". This engine sat on the ground for 20 years with valve cover off... YIKES! All valves stuck... some open, some closed, all had to be hammered out... Entire rocker assembly, guides and valves shot. All that's really left and possibly salvageable is the casting.
I'm afraid there is too much pitting for re-grinding the seats. I am imagining they will have to be machined with counterbores to accept new, hardened, false seats.
Now I also have a 235, *319 casting head and the seats in it can be ground. I was just in focus of the higher ratio combustion *848 head.
Ttod and Builder, your practical approach makes the best sense. I was stoked to have a 261 engine with a 235, *848 combination (As I understand it, the hot-rodders preference). I'm not a hot-rodder though and there's only a slight difference in the combustion chambers between the *848 and the *319 heads, anyway.
Why do I make things so complicated? I do plan on drilling the steam holes in the 235 head to match the block.
Thanks for all the responses and tips! I won't scrap the *848. I'll just set it aside for another day. I learned a lot here! Sometimes talking it out with friends is my best medicine.
Merry Christmas to you all!

Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw