I put Fenton headers on my '54 with a 248. Then I had the same glaspacs put on it that are on my '56 with a 350. The '56 sounds deep and mellow. The '54 sounds loud and obnoxious.

I first asked about this on the Sub and Panel forum because it was suggested that it just sounds loud because it is a Suburban. But I have discounted that. It not only sounds loud, it is loud. I got some suggestions over there but I'm hoping someone here knows something about how exhaust systems work and can help me with a solution.


The installer claims it is the difference between a 6 cyl. and an 8 cyl. But I know of several pickups in the area running Fentons and glaspacs that aren't this loud. They won't do anything about it unless I pay more money. I already paid $100 more than what I paid for the '56 system. They aren't getting any more of my money.

Now I need to figure out how to fix it myself. It seems to me that there is some kind of acoustic effect taking place here. It seems to be amplifying the sound at certain rpms. As I go through the gears it goes from tolerable to obnoxious. And at highway speed it sounds like straight pipes.

I'm thinking about adding another set of mufflers near the outlet. My reasoning is maybe the long pipe after the muffler is making it sound obnoxious. The '56 pipes are shorter, exiting just forward of the axle. The burb pipes go all the way to the back. Any comments on that theory?

Or do I need a crossover pipe as was suggested in the other forum.

Or? Any help will be appreciated.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.