Originally Posted by Pre '68 Dave
Is there to much end play in the crank letting the crank shift to the rear?

Just checked the end play per the instructions in the shop manual. I have .007" So within spec (just)

Originally Posted by Richard
The trust plate for the 235 is similar to the 250/292 plate but have a different thickness. I don't remember which one is thicker.

There shouldn't be an issue with setting the clearance if you use the inside spacer ring. Push the gear on until it hits the ring and the clearance is set.

I don't know who these guys are, but they have nice pictures of their products and include the ring.
ChevyHotRod6 Thrust plate

The thrust plate is brand new from The Filling Station. I had a auto machine shop press it on and I checked the spacer gap and it was fine (.005").