| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,462 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 255 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 255 | Thanks for the replies, FredT and Oldsub. Thats the main thing that scares me is the torque tube issues. The easiest thing that I could think of to do is find a way to convert the 1/2 ton differential to accept an exposed drive shaft or do a substitution as you suggested. The 3/4 tons have a torque tube halfway back to the rear and they convert to an exposed (open) shaft to the differential. You are correct that the 3/4 tons are 18 plus inches longer, but I think that the open drive shaft makes some swaps easier. I know that there are u-joints that convert the 48 to more modern diffs. I will keep driving until think this out some more. I would not like to get too radical. I like the stock look and would not like axles that are too wide. Thanks for your ideas and I look forward hearing more. Ralph | | |
| |
| |