| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (‘37ChevyPU, Hotrod Lincoln, Otto Skorzeny, CuzzFuzz, Shaffer's1950, SlimSix, TrknGMC, 1 invisible),
81
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,451 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 255 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 255 | Hi All, I have a 48 - 3/4 ton that I use as a daily driver, and I was wondering about switching out the 3/4 ton axles for 1/2 ton components. Has anyone here done that? I have a 48 - 1/2 ton parts truck that has all the parts ecxcept the tourque tube. Some benifits I see are:
- I go from from 4:56 gears to 4:11 and the ability to go even higher - I get rid of the expensive 3/4 ton huck brakes - I get to loose the 8-hole, 15 inch safety wheels that they charge me $16.00 to repair Some problems that I forsee are:
- The torque tube from the half ton will not swap over because the 3/4 ton has a tube from the tranny half way back to the pumpkin and then is a exposed shaft from the bearing back to the diff. - possible spring/perch issues - possible steering/linkage issues
I have some other options; leave things alone and enjoy, I have a 77 GMC 3/4 ton with a good running gear (unknown rearend ratio)that I could swap in, convert to bendix style brakes and aftermarket wheels (if available) and fix the 1/2 ton and use it as the daily driver.
I would be interested in any ideas or comments that the wise ones may have considering this modification. Hope others will benifit from this post. Ralph | | |
| |
| |