Sorry for a barrage of questions, but here goes: 1) I was under my 54 this evening and noticed a small (vent?) hole on the bottom of the housing that surrounds the flywheel. What is the point of this? 2) Is there a way to inspect the flywheel without removing the engine or transmission--like an access panel? For the life of me I can't seem to find the steel ball in the flywheel even though the engine sounds like it is timed well. 3) Looking at the 235 from the passenger-side fender, there are two unused mounting holes in the block just to the left of the draft tube and below & to the right of the coil mounting spot. Any idea what this should be used for? 4) Are there any particular washers suggested for when you re-install the oil pan drain bolt?
I'm learning a lot as I read this site, so thanks in advance [design!] for your help.