If you can find an original vacuum diagram, it would probably be wise to start with what the factory engineers chose. Of course, in 1960 we still had leaded gas with much higher octane ratings, even regular was blended for compression ratios above 9:1. I'd try both ways, ansd see which one gives the best power and/or gas mileage. Back when I could still hear it, I would listen for detonation and tinker with the timing until I could pull a long, steady hill at meduim throttle without getting any spark knock. Now I have to take my grandson along to be my listener!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!