I'm trying to ID the rear end that came with my truck. I know it's a later model GM product but I want to make it easier to buy the parts I need. It's a 10 bolt, enclosed driveshaft unit with Bendix brakes. I'm pretty sure it's early 50's vintage.

There are two elongated indentations on either side of the front of the axle shaft about 12" in from the backing plates. Does anyone know what these are for?

Can anyone tell me whether this rear end will mount right up to my truck and work properly? When I bought the truck, the PO had disconnected the lever action shocks and tried to mount gas shocks to it. It was cobbled up a bit. I just need to know how to mount this thing up, since I don't have the original rear end. It's all I've got to work with at this point.

I know this is a lot of information and I really appreciate anyone's input.


Neil
1940 GMC 1/2 Ton