I recently found some Swedish adjustable wrenches in my collection, was surprised to find that they are indeed left handed, in that the adjustment screw works opposite to what we're used to.
One is a
BAHCO which I understand Snap-On owns and offers some branded as Snap-On for their best adjustables. From what others say BAHCO still makes perhaps the very best adjustable wrenches and have been at it longer than anyone else.
Here's my adjustable wrench saga:
For about the last 12 years I've had a 6" adjustable in my side pocket, everyday all day. In that time I've come to really appreciate and depend on a good one, and have worn out 2 in the process.
Which right now leaves me ready for a third, and I'm having a hard time finding one I like.
My first was an old (but NOS) black Crescent, which was really nice.
Then about the time It was worn out and I was afraid of losing my favorite wrench I switched to a new black Blue-Point made in Spain that very closely replicated the old Crescent in every way.
Now the new Crescents are good, but not as nice and slim and well made as the old ones.
The new Blue-Point with the same part number has been changed and is a little clunky.
I've got one of each and don't care for either as much as my old ones.
In my search for a replacement over the past few weeks I've tried a new chrome Snap-On. It is high quality, but just doesn't feel right, a little short and slippery and not so well balanced.
Then someone told me that Proto has some good tight adjustables, so I picked up a new one on ebay last week. It's OK, but is exactly identical in every single way to the new Crescents, other then the stamping/logo, Crescent did make them for Proto. This one the jaws did not line up very well side to side, but a few careful minutes on the belt sander have it looking and feeling better than new. I've seen a different style Proto in pictures (not made by Crescent) but haven't found one to try.
Currently I'm ready to try a Martin Tools (formerly Fairmont Tools) model
A6T. They look nice, Martin makes excellent tools (I have several others by them), and I've heard good things about the adjustables.
Also willing to try a new Klein model
508-6 Folks say they are extra tight, hold the adjustment well, and possibly made in Japan?
And finally I'm considering a departure from what I'm accustomed to,
[u]a Knipex plier Wrench model 8603-150[/u] . I've seen them on the truck but haven't used any yet.
Whatever I finally find that I like I think I'll buy a case so I can avoid this problem in the years to come.
Who would have thought finding a nice adjustable wrench could be so hard?
Grigg