Getting confusing feedback here.
1) Were you able to make it run acceptably by adjusting the timing to the best running position?
2) Under what conditions does this "popping" occour?
3) are you taking the choke off before the engine has run for a little while or are you modulating it until warm?
4) How does it idle when backed down to say 550-750?
5) When warmed up and running best does it pull ok without missing and bucking at lower speed?
6) Are you able to drive the vehicle or is your testing limited to shop running only?
I reread and see you said "I made sure the points were still at about 32*"
I hope this means 32 degrees and not 32 thousanths/inch.
My old plug chart says gap the plugs @ .030---not many plugs are gapped out of the box @ .030 these days we must always adjust before install.
Just another thought if your parts supplier has convinced you to install the Bosch platinum plugs consider throwing them away but at least try a used set of "took out champion or AC".
I have cured several problems caused by these Bosch when the tiny center platinum electrode material came loose to drift in and out of the insulator varing the gap at random and sometimes going away altogether.But then some of them must be quite alright, after all we know they wouldn't keep on making a flawed product.But really how many users notice 1 erratic plug acting up out of 6 or 8? By gosh WE DO since we are intimate with our machines, not cooped up in that sound proof, climate controlled compartment using mufflers and other creature comforts.But if the owner should happen to notice the intermittant miss the next tune up will probably dismiss it.
Bottom line watch those Bosch plugs.I don't want none.
Hang in there you've already found all these things that are NOT the answer.